Today we have a beautifully light and spicy vegan sushi dish using the Regal Red Pepper Chilli No. 5 Sauce. This delicious sushi recipe features cured watermelon in place of fish, along with traditional sushi ingredients including avocado, cucumber, cooked sushi rice, rice wine vinegar, pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi paste. You’ll need to cure the watermelon in the fridge 24 hours beforehand, but it’s well worth the extra effort. The fruit and veg in this dish pack a huge punch of superfood nutrition, the watermelon is extremely high in vitamins C, D, B1, B5 & B6, and the Avocado is full of healthy fats, as well as 20 minerals and vitamins. Whilst the Nori Sushi paper gives a vast range of health benefits with significant amounts of vitamins A, vitamin C, B-complex groups; and minerals like iodine, manganese, phosphorus, and iron. These nutrients are known to reduce inflammation, a major cause of multiple chronic diseases.
- 1 Watermelon
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cucumber
- 500 g cooked sushi rice
- Nori sheets
- Chipotle flakes
- Regal red pepper sauce
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- 1 Bottle Chilli No. 5 Regal Red Pepper
- To cure the watermelon to replace what would usually be tuna or salmon slice the watermelon across into 2 disks around 2-3mm thick, and then calve out 3 blocks of watermelon that are 2x2x5cm. This will be used for two different types of sushi, nijiri and sushi rolls.
- Cost the watermelon slices and blocks with a spinkle of Chipotle flakes and a large pinch of salt. Place on a rack with a tray underneath and leave uncovered on the fridge for 24hours. The salt will draw out the water from the melon, curing it and transforming its flavour and texture.
- The next day remove the melon from the fridge, make up your sushi rice and cut the avocado and cucumber into ½ cm strips. Do the same with the watermelon blocks and slice the disks into 2cm with strips, discarding any skin.
- To make the sushi rolls, take a sushi matt and lay down a Nori sheet on top shiny side up. With wet hands, take some sushi rice and create a thin layer of rice across half of the Nori. Brush the rice with a layer of Regal Red sauce, then lay down a single strip of the melon cut from the blocks and either the avocado or cucumber (repeat with different combinations on the next rolls)
- Roll up the sushi roll with the matt, seal with some water and slice into 8 equal disks.
- Fir the Nijiri simply form the sushi rice into small blocks in your hands, or use a mould if you prefer. Brush with Regal Red sauce and then lay the strips of melon from the disks over the top of the rice. Trim to fit, and finish with a sprinkle of Sesame seeds.
- To make a dipping sauce, mix equal perst Regal red sauce with Soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Serve the sushi with the dipping sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Light and delicious, this vegan sushi recipe is guaranteed to go down a treat. Subscribe to Chilli No. 5 on YOUTUBE. Follow Chilli No. 5 on Instagram. Find Chilli No.5 on Google For access to all our superfood recipes and products. Find our sauce with Green Chilli Antibes.