Grilled Portuguese Sardines
A super simple authentic Portuguese recipe – basically Sardines on toast. Bruno, our Portuguese Chef has selected the Chilli No. 5 Fiery Gazpacho gourmet chilli sauce to spice things up. Sardines are human health-bombs with less mercury than most fish as they only feed on plankton. They are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help prevent heart disease due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Omega-3 fatty acids also reduce the risk of blood clots and lower blood pressure. Sardines are packed with multiple minerals, vitamins, calcium and good protein – think healthy bones and muscles plus antibodies to keep immune systems strong.
- Grill / BBQ / Plancha
- 8 Sardines (Counting on 2 sardines per person)
- 8 Slices of bread
- 2 tbsp Extra- virgin Olive Oil (Plus extra to serve)
- A Pinch Of Salt
- 1 Bottle Chilli no. 5 Fiery Gazpacho Hot Sauce
- Heat a BBQ or griddle pan until hot.
- Cook the sardines for 4-5 minutes on each side or until really caramelised and charred.
- While grilling the sardines, toast the slices of bread
- Put the each sardine on top of a slice of bread onto a serving plate
- Drizzle with olive oil & Chilli No. 5 Fiery Gazpacho Hot Sauce
Bruno brings the BBQ up to a good heat, giving the sardines a couple of minutes on each side. He then toasts sliced baguette on the BBQ, butters it, then tops it with the Chilli No. 5 Fiery Gazpacho Hot Sauce which is made from chillies, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, paprika, celery, mint, lemon, lime and best somerset apple cider vinegar. Then he layers the grilled sardines on top – it really is that simple! This versatile, healthy brilliant crowd-pleaser is perfect for cooking on the BBQ with family and friends. The perfect way to end the day and fill you up with spicy wholesome, locally sourced goodness.