A quesadilla is a Mexican dish that dates back to the 16th century. Traditional quesadillas were made with a corn tortilla that was warmed on a griddle, filled with cheese and various other fillings (meat, vegetables), and then folded over to be eaten by hand.High in protein, low in fat! Yes, you guessed it. Chapulines as they say in Mexico, or grasshoppers – highly nutritious edible insects. Our recipe today is Grasshopper Quesadillas. Today on Superfood Mondays Jorges Torres, Chilli No. 5 Mexican guest chef, shows us how to make authentic Grasshopper Quesadillas. Jorges chooses Chilli No. 5 Mexican Fury and hottest sauce Pure Chilli No. 5 to add the spice to these roasted insect tortillas.Nutrient wise grasshoppers have a very high percentage of good quality proteins and are a good source of unsaturated fats. Edible insects contain a polysaccharide called chitin, which has antibacterial properties, and are known to maintain a healthy nervous system. Plus they are easy to digest.
- A good cutting knife
- Small bowls
- 1 Lime
- 1 bunch Fresh Coriander
- 1 Red Onion
- Chilli No. 5 Mexican Fury Hot Sauce
- Chilli No. 5 Limited Edition "Pure"
- 2 Sheets Corn Tortilla
- Grated cheese – either mild or sharp cheddar, or any other cheese that melts easily
- Cook the mushrooms in olive oil and salt
- Separate each ingredient in a different bowl
- Lay the tortilla
- Start to add each ingredient. Take care not to layer on the ingredients too thickly – this is a quesadilla, not a quiche!
- Add the cheese
- Add the mushrooms
- Add the grasshoppers
- Add the Chilli No. 5 Mexican Fury Hot Sauce
- If not hot enough, add a bit of the "Pure" Limited Edition
- Heat the tortillas on medium high heat
- After a minute, check to see if the cheese is melted. If not, return the cover and keep checking every minute until the cheese is melted.
- Fold tortilla over. When the cheese is sufficiently melted, use a spatula to lift up one side of the quesadilla and flip over the other side, as if you were making an omelette.
- Remove quesadilla from pan
- Add the fresh ingredients: onion and coriander